This recipe was such a fun experiment. These “Hootenannies” as my kids like to call them are a Saturday favorite for our family. The only problem is, the regular recipe is filled with white flour a ton of butter and sugar… So, they don’t really fit into our healthy eating plan at the moment! My sweet hubby and I decided we were going to change that together! We redesigned the Hootenanny into something totally healthy and actually (don’t tell the kids) even more delicious and flavorful than the original! Our Saturday tradition can continue totally guilt free! Yess!
We swapped out the white flour for 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 spelt flour. We cut the butter quantity in half but if you wanted this to be vegan you could substitute coconut oil for the butter too. Then we switched up the usual powdered sugar and syrup topping for a plethora of fresh fruit, toasted pecans, chia seeds and pure maple syrup! It was amazingly delicious! We even topped it off with some coconut whipped cream. It was a total treat!
This breakfast was super easy and my kids had no idea we had changed up the basic recipe. They each had seconds! Score!!
I am so glad to have this recipe under by belt, because one of the hard things about super healthy eating has been the lack of our fun weekend breakfasts together. I no longer have to watch my kiddos scarf down their “special breakfasts” and not participate! It makes me so happy to have my kids eating healthier foods that they love too. It is a definite win-win.
Do you have any special-occasion recipes that are super healthy but still mega yummy? I am all about trying new things! Leave your ideas in the comments section below. Thanks friends! Have a fantastic week and happy cooking! Here’s the recipe for ya:
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 cup milk or coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil)
- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwi, bananas, chopped toasted pecans, black chia seeds, pure maple syrup, coconut whip cream. (Or toppings of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a blender or a large bowl with an electric whisk, mix together eggs, milk, salt and vanilla.
- If in blender add all the almond flour and spelt flour at once and blend till smooth. If using an electric whisk, tap in flours slowly until well mixed.
- Put butter into 9x11 rimmed baking pan. Place pan in oven until butter melts.
- Pour in batter and place on center rack. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings and eat hot! Enjoy!