Hi friends! Long time, no blog! I gave myself a personal break during the holidays to focus on my family, and boy was it worth it! We had such a beautiful holiday season filled with way too much fun! There is nothing like Christmas to bring a little magic into your home. We had our fill, thats for sure.
I am glad to get back into the swing of things, and can’t wait to share some of the yummy things I have been cooking up in my kitchen! One of my new loves are curry bowls! I have been crushing on cooked quinoa as of late, and have found that it is a perfect match for a warm and flavorful coconut curry sauce! The flavors meld together so nicely. If you are looking to pack some deliciously prepared veggies into your diet, than this is the recipe for you!
The best part of making curry bowls, is that they are totally customizable to the contents of your refrigerator! Just grab what veggies you have on hand, and you are good to go! For this dish I used tuscan kale, red peppers, butternut squash, Yukon gold potatoes, onion, garlic and lucky me, ginger! But you can get away with a myriad of different veggies to suit your taste. So, go raid the fridge, and lets get cooking!
I took a few extra minutes to roast my veggies instead of cooking them in the curry sauce. I feel like it gave a better, sweeter flavor to the vegetables and bonus, makes it so easy to use the extra sauce on your leftovers, without your veggies getting all soggy and less than awesome. So, when you are ready for a curry bowl you just get out your pre-cooked quinoa, roasted veggies and sauce then, boom! Scrumptious food ready to eat! The raw kale gave a perfect crunch to this dish and packed it full of super healthy goodness!
I can’t wait to hear how you like this recipe! It was a winner for us. Enjoy!
- 2 cups (uncooked) quinoa, cooked in half water half vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (divided)
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bottom third only, tough outer layer removed, bruised with a rolling pin
- 1-cup vegetable stock
- 2-13.5 ounce cans coconut milk (full fat, or low fat)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1-teaspoon salt
- ⅛ cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 5 stalks Tuscan kale, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop onion, mince garlic and ginger and prepare lemongrass. Dice butternut squash, potatoes and red peppers. Slice Tuscan kale.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil and add in red curry paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for another 5 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock and coconut milk. Season with salt, lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Taste sauce at this point and add more salt or sugar to your preference. Simmer sauce until it thickens (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool slightly.
- Arrange veggies on a lined baking tray. Melt the other 1-½ tablespoons coconut oil and drizzle over veggies. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Place in oven to roast for 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender and browning a little.
- While veggies are roasting, pour sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Place back in pan and keep warm on low heat.
- Serve roasted veggies over quinoa. Drizzle with red coconut curry sauce and bunch of shredded kale and a few basil leaves. Enjoy!