Man oh man, life sure has a way of swallowing you up sometimes… Having a baby is definitely one of those moments. I like to think I can keep it all together and get right back into the swing of things after having baby, but I sure can’t. Darn those misleading red superwoman boots! I’ll have to be the normal mom that I am I guess. Thank goodness my sweet mother has been here to keep our family from starving, because I sure haven’t been in my kitchen much lately. One thing I have been able to pull off is salads. They are quick, easy and not too much of a commitment. Yay for small victories! I feel a little more like myself putting together this healthy salad! I got to share it with my Sister at lunchtime while our kiddos played. It was so great to do a little light cooking again!
There are few things that make a salad more delicious than homemade croutons and garden fresh tomatoes! I love it when the croutons are crunchy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside hot from the oven. Ya baby! I whipped up a batch of this Buttermilk Herb Dressing to compliment this cheerful looking BLT Salad. I like mine loaded with all the goods… Avocado, red onions and feta cheese are a must. If you are looking for a crowd pleaser that is healthy and full of flavor, this BLT Salad is just the ticket!
I am always on the lookout for some new salad ideas. I try to eat one every day to help squeeze in some extra veggies into my diet. One of the ways to mix up your salad routine is your dressing of choice! If you take a moment to blend up a fresh batch of dressing it sure boosts that flavor of your salad. Adding fresh herbs is always a bonus.
What salads are your favorites these days? I would love to hear about your go-to recipes!
Thanks for bearing with me during this crazy time in my life! I can’t wait to get into some fall cooking and get re-aquainted with my lonely kitchen. 🙂
Here’s the recipe!
For BLT Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced and quartered
- 8 sprigs chives, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 loaf sourdough bread loaf, cut into 1-½ inch cubes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Honey for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-teaspoon herbs de provence seasoning blend
For Buttermilk Herb Dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅔-cup whole plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- 1-tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 6 sprigs chives, chopped
- ¼ red onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cube artisan sourdough bread into 1-½ inch cubes. In a large bowl toss bread with olive oil and honey to taste. Season with salt, pepper and herbs de provence seasoning blend. Toss well to evenly coat the bread. Arrange on a cookie sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Blend together all ingredients for buttermilk herb dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in a jar or container and place in refrigerator to set.
- Chop and prep all remaining salad ingredients. Arrange lettuce and half of the toppings in either one large bowl, or 4 smaller ones. Dress lightly and toss well to coat evenly. Top salad with the remaining tomato, red onion, avocado, bacon, chives, feta cheese and croutons. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Have a great day!