I’m always trying to discover new soups that my kids will like. At the moment they are totally hooked on tomato soup. Every time I make a batch of soup they ask, “Is it tomato?” Followed by cheers or groans depending on the answer… Ha ha. I was inspired to make this soup because of their deep devotion to smooth tomato soup. This Carrot Apple Soup is blended, and looks similar to the tomato soup in color. I thought I might have a chance of winning them over, and I was right! It was such a fantastic flavor that brought the fall spirit a plenty! The honey crisp apples are my absolute favorite fall fruit! They lend a bright, sweet note to this simple yet surprising dynamic soup.
I have had a hard time deciding what soup I am going to make on Halloween… It’s a tradition in our family to have soup on this spooky holiday. Here in Utah, it seems we all need a little warming up after haunting the neighborhood in the crisp fall air. I usually serve it with my sweet Grandma Jeanne’s wassail, and sometimes if my kids are lucky, donuts! It’s a small thing, but it is something I look forward to doing for my family. There is nothing like wrapping up in a cozy blanket with a bowl of soup to watch our Halloween flick! We take turns answering the door and trying to surprise the kids. My hubby sets up a speaker system hidden between pumpkins and plays different recorded screams or silly noises while the kids are waiting for us at the door… It never fails to make me laugh!
I tend to not go overboard on these small holidays, and try to spend time with the kids, and be in the moment. Sometimes I hardly remember to snap any photographs to document the occasion, because I am too busy running around with the kiddies! What do you think? Should I serve something new like this Carrot Apple soup? Or go with a traditional chili or stew? I just don’t know… What’s your favorite soup?
I hope everyone has a fun filled holiday weekend! Maybe whip up a pot of soup to keep your kiddies warm this Halloween!
Here is the recipe:
- 8 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 large apples (honey crisp or other sweet apple), peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups half & half
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Chopped apples, sour cream & micro greens or fresh thyme
- In a large stockpot add carrots, apples, onion and olive oil. Sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add all other soup ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes.
- Remove Rosemary and thyme sprigs. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Process soup in blender or food processor in small batches of about 4 cups at a time. Blend until smooth.
- Top with chopped apples, sour cream and fresh herbs or micro greens. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy cooking!