Woo-ee, this meal was a party for the pallet! There is nothing like the zesty lemon with a pile of fresh herbs to make a meal come alive! Every ounce of this dinner was devoured (even by my kiddos). My two little ones were actually fighting over who got the last of the roasted broccoli. Ha ha ha. If that’s not a win, I don’t know what is!
This Lemon Herb Marinated Chicken & Vegetables is going to have to become a regular in our house. It was so easy to cook! I loved that I could use just one big roasting pan and add the chicken in after the veggies got a head start roasting. It made for simple clean-up! Because the veggies were so moist from the marinade and the juices from the chicken, and the chicken was covered in delicious melted aged white cheddar cheese, there was no need for a sauce in this dish. Talk about simple but impactful flavors!
I absolutely love cooking with banana fingerling potatoes. They have such a soft buttery texture. When they’re roasted they get this amazing outer crust with a soft, tender center! They don’t taste excessively starchy either. The combination of the little banana fingerlings, bell peppers and broccoli was so perfect. These three veggies are staples in my kitchen which makes this an easy impromptu dinner!
I’ve realized that we tend to eat a lot of chicken in our house. It’s the kids favorite for sure, and is so easy to prepare when you are short on time! I’ll chalk this meal up to another good one for our menu. Hooray for food that kids will actually eat with a smile!
Here’s the handy recipe! Let’s get cooking! 🙂
- For lemon herb marinade:
- 1 cup assorted fresh herbs, chopped (curly parsley, chives, rosemary & thyme) + more as a garnish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- For roasted chicken & veggies:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 pound banana fingerling potatoes, sliced into ½” rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1”x1” squares
- 1 head broccoli, cut into halved florets
- 1 cup shredded white, aged cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together marinade, and pour half of mixture into a Ziploc bag with chicken breasts. Seal and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least a half hour, up to overnight.
- Prepare veggies as directed above. Place veggies in a large roasting pan with a rim. Toss the remaining half of the marinade over the veggies.
- Roast veggies in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place marinated chicken over the top of the veggies. Place back into hot oven to continue roasting for an additional 25-35 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked (juices in center run clear) and potatoes are fork tender.
- During the last 5 minutes of roasting, sprinkle shredded cheese over chicken breasts to melt. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before it is served.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired. Enjoy!