I have to admit that life has been on the offensive for my family and I this winter. We (regrettably) missed our flu shots, mainly because we were too busy being sick already. Then WHAM! It happened. Four out of the five of us got Influenza. The real deal, two week long bug. It has been just about a month since we got sick, and I am still trying to bounce back. Thankfully our two kids that got sick with us didn’t get it quite as wickedly and my hubby and I did. It was a major struggle.
My kitchen has sat fairly neglected this winter for this reason. Spring has sprung and I am determined to get back on track and take charge of my kitchen (and life) once more! I have been drawn to things that feel like home, and make my house smell warm and cozy. I find that if I am having a hard day, baking is an effective form of therapy! Nothing is better than fresh bread out of the oven. Because I am still feeling sub-par, quick bread was just what I needed. And chocolate. Did I mention chocolate? It’s the real therapy, am I right?
I wasn’t in the mood for the standard banana bread or zucchini bread, so I did a little experimenting. I discovered an amazing coconut quick bread recipe a while back from Smitten Kitchen. She vouched whole heartedly for this luxurious loaf created by bill granger for his restaurant bills. I whipped up a batch of the simplistic (yet unbelievably hearty) brown butter coconut bread and fell hard. Yes!!! I cannot tell you how much I loved bill’s recipe. After making it several times I couldn’t help but get creative with it. I had a hankering for the classic chocolate orange flavor combo, but decided to keep the coconut in to provide that wonderful texture of the original loaf.
It was a huge success! Everyone in my family has loved it so much! As per the suggestion of Smitten Kitchen, I toasted a thick slice and topped it with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
So. Dang. Delicious.
If you need some warm fuzzy vibes in your kitchen, this is the bread for you. I will most definitely make this again and again. I’m sure you will love this bread as much as I do! Hooray for baking! And for spring!
Here’s the recipe my friends:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1-½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-½ cups semi sweet chocolate chunks, rough chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Non-stick spray, or bakers joy spray for pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (325 if using a convect oven). In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, orange juice and zest, milk and vanilla.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet egg mixture. Mix until just combined. Add coconut, chocolate chunks and mix lightly until combined. Add butter and mix until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Spray loaf pan and dust with flour. Pour in batter to ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 90 minutes if you are baking it in a regular oven. If you are using convect bake, it should only take 75-80 minutes. Bake until deep golden brown on the outside and when tested with a toothpick, it comes out clean.
Browning the butter adds a wonderful flavor as well, but is not mandatory.
Here are a few more recipes you might like:
Enjoy! Thanks for visiting with me!