What would we do without fall soup? It really is one of the best parts of the season in my personal opinion. It is always a comfort and will warm you through and through on those cool crisp nights. There is something so nostalgic about soup for me… I remember my mother and even grandmother serving me all different kinds of rustic, home cooked pots of soup. I always enjoyed them. My mom’s signature soup was something we called “Hamburger Soup”. It fed our large family without a problem and always had us dishing up seconds. Soup feels so much like home to me.
Since I have been lucky enough to have my parents as guests in our home for a while now, I’ve had the opportunity to share my kitchen with my master soup maker mommy. I love cooking with her. She and I have come up with several soups that we whip up regularly that keep us eating healthy. This White Chicken Chili is my latest creation. It exudes the essence of fall, and has just enough bite to keep me coming back for more! I have made this soup several times now and love it more and more with each veggie-loaded spoonful! Pump up some tunes in your kitchen and lets get cooking!
What makes this soup so awesome is the huge serving of veggies one bowl gives you. I never really understood the point of a plain-jane white chicken chili. Everything tastes so…… white. Ha ha ha. I packed this soup with a rainbow of sweet bell peppers, carrots and onions. It adds so much pizazz to this staple soup.
I have been using rotisserie chickens for my soup as of late. It really cuts down my cooking time which is a MUST when you have a new baby to care for. I only have so much time before he starts fussing for his next meal…
I know I called this soup “white chicken chili” but the broth is packed with so much flavor that it doesn’t stay white for very long, *wink *wink. You’re gonna love it!
What makes this soup such a rockstar (aside from the impressive veggie explosion) is the toppings. The freshly squeezed lime juice, cilantro leaves, salsa, tortilla strips and hot pepper shredded cheese takes this soup to a whole new level of yum.
You ready to dig in? I know I am. Party time for your taste buds my friends. Be sure to let me know how you like it! Don’t leave a sista gushing about this soup all by her lonesome, ya hear?
Here’s the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-4 bell peppers, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 large rotisserie chicken, light and dark meat cubed
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1-14 ounce can large white beans, drained
- 1-14 ounce can large white beans, drained and blended with ¼ cup of broth until smooth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-tablespoon oregano
- 1-teaspoon chili powder
- 1-teaspoon cracked coriander
- 2-½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Salsa, shredded pepper jack cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips & lime wedges.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Add onions, garlic, carrots, bell peppers and green chilies. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, diced chicken and cream cheese. Add large white beans, and blended white beans. Season with paprika, oregano, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook until carrots are tender. Serve hot.
- Garnish with salsa, shredded cheese, cilantro and tortilla strips. Squeeze a fresh lime overtop and enjoy!
I sure hope you love it! Happy fall to us all.