Hello again my friends! It’s been a while since I have been up to doing much of any blogging… My heavens, pregnancy sure is taking the life out of me these days! I am getting close though. Just under 4 weeks left of the torture. I am getting super excited to meet our new baby boy! There isn’t anything sweeter than a brand new baby. It’s all worth it in the end, even though my pregnancies are a true trial of my grit and long-suffering. It makes me a stronger person, and for that I am grateful.
You will be shocked to hear that up until recently I have actually been cooking a bunch of healthy meals, but just haven’t been up to photographing the results! Darn this protruding belly of mine! A few weeks ago I whipped up this glorious salad and I would be truly selfish to hoard it all to myself. I hope y’all appreciate this one, because I can hardly sit up straight enough to type it out for you! LOL. Introducing my Crispy Chèvre, Bacon & Sweet Potato Salad with Brown Butter Vinaigrette. (MEGA DELISH).
I’m gonna keep this short and sweet. This salad was full of warm flavors and hearty toppings! I really loved the warm and crispy chèvre rounds that were the crown on top. I came up with this Brown Butter Vinaigrette made creamy with some yogurt. It was so fab. I will defiantly use this dressing on several different salads in the future. It was super easy. I have become a huge advocate for roasted vegetables in salads lately… These sweet potatoes really enhance the flavor of this salad and compliment the kale and butter lettuce beautifully.
I sure hope you enjoy this fresh salad as much as we did! Hooray for summer salads!
Here’s the handy dandy printable recipe:
- For Kale & Butter Lettuce Salad:
- ½ head kale lettuce head, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 orange flesh sweet potatoes, peeled and small diced
- Olive oil for drizzling over potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound thick cut bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 1-cup pecans, halved
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- For Crispy Fried Chèvre Cheese Rounds:
- 8 ounces plain chèvre cheese in a log
- 1-cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Pinch of cayenne
- ½ cup olive oil
- For Brown Butter Yogurt Vinaigrette Dressing:
- ½ cup salted butter
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2-½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- For Brown Butter Yogurt Vinaigrette Dressing; in a small saucepan melt butter and add Greek yogurt. Whisk together. Pour into a blender. Add shallots, minced garlic, honey mustard, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- For Salad; Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare lettuces as directed above, making sure to remove the thick center stem from the kale leaves and discard it. Peel and dice orange flesh sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a lined baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender in the center and crispy on the outside.
- Cook bacon, remove from pan and allow to cool. Cut into small pieces. Pour out excess bacon grease from pan, but don’t wipe the pan out.
- For Crispy Fried Chèvre Rounds; slice chèvre log into 10-12 thick slices. Mix together Panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley on a plate. Dip each slice of chèvre gently into egg, coating both sides. Coat both sides with a good layer of the Panko mixture. Pour ½ cup olive oil into the same pan you cooked the bacon in. Preheat to medium heat. When oil is hot, place chèvre rounds into oil carefully. Cook for 1 minute until light golden brown. Turn over. Cook for an additional minute. Do not overcook. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to let excess oil drip off.
- Arrange lettuces, roasted sweet potatoes, bacon, pecans and chopped dried cherries onto 4 plates. Top with warm, crispy fried chèvre rounds. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with brown butter yogurt vinaigrette dressing and enjoy!
Have a happy day!