I have been trying really hard lately to eat a really good breakfast each day. Being over 7 months pregnant, it seems like I am constantly dying for some extra energy. I have found that if I don’t eat a high protein breakfast I am starving an hour or so later. I love eggs for breakfast, but I can’t do it every day. Thats where this lovely Orange Vanilla Granola comes in! I have been trying to protein-carb balance my meals so that I am not eating just protein at one time or just carbs alone. When you pair both of them together they give you energy for a much longer time and keep you feeling full.
I have been eating this super flavorful Orange Vanilla Granola with dried cherries in it overtop of some naturally flavored greek yogurt with fruit and a drizzle of honey! It has been a life saver for me in the mornings, and at snack time (which is like, always). I love that I pulled off the amazing sweet flavor using about 1/3 the normal amount of sugar one would find in granola. It’s delicious!
This is the perfect baking adventure, because it takes only a few minutes to whip together and 30-35 minutes to bake. The citrus notes in the granola are so fragrant and yummy! This makes about a quart and a half of toasty golden granola. It can be stored for up to two weeks in an air-tight container, but I doubt it’ll stick around in your kitchen for that long! My family is devouring it faster that I thought!
Click on this link to check out my Orange & Kiwi Yogurt Parfait Recipe using the Orange Vanilla Granola. It is the BEST!
Here’s the recipe! Let’s get baking! Be sure to let me know how you like it. I love to hear what you do with the recipe!
- ⅓-cup butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- Zest & juice of 2 oranges (Cara Cara is my favorite type of orange for this)
- 1-teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1-cup oat flour (oats ground into a flour)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Melt butter and add maple syrup, brown sugar, zest and juice of 2 oranges and vanilla extract. Whisk together well and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine old fashioned rolled oats, oat flour, almond slices, ground cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Pour orange maple sauce over oats and stir well until evenly coated. Pour out oat mixture onto a lined baking sheet. Smooth out into a thin single layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring granola every ten minutes. Granola should be golden brown when done. Allow granola to cool completely, and then mix in dried cherries. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!