In our modern society we are constantly busy with our crazy schedules and to-do lists. Inevitably one of those highly important tasks is to find the absolute perfect, melt in your mouth, creamy, must-have Sour Cream Pancake recipe! I know it has been on all of your lists for a while now… Because I love you all so much, I decided I would roll up my sleeves and check this one off the list for you! Aren’t I nice? Ha ha ha. No, seriously, this was a labor of love and devotion to you, and my need for the perfect breakfast pancakes…. They just HAD to be in my life! Pregnancy has a way of altering what’s at the top of our to-do list doesn’t it?
Anywho, aren’t these gorgeous? I was inspired to re-create the fabulous texture of some Sour Cream Pancakes at this new local eatery called Penny Ann’s Cafe. Their Sour Cream Pancakes are their signature dish (and for good reason). They have converted me to a love of pancakes. I haven’t usually been one to crave pancakes, but they have wheedled their way into my heart! The sour cream in the pancakes keeps them so moist and the texture is unbelievable. I love them because they aren’t 99% flour. They are more like half dairy-half carbs, which gives them a good protein boost to complement the carb overload that pancakes usually are.
I tried this creamy sour cream version of maple syrup that was a lovely compliment to the pancakes. It makes the syrup less sweet and adds a velvety creamy texture. I really enjoyed it, but these pancakes would be great with some good old fashioned maple syrup too. Yum!
Can you almost smell them? I wish this computer had a scratch and sniff app, because you all deserve to enjoy the goodness. Give this new take on an old fashioned favorite a try for your next weekend breakfast. Let me know how you like em!
Here’s the recipe!
- For Sour Cream Maple Syrup:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup maple syrup
- For Fluffy Sour Cream Pancakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-teaspoon baking soda
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus extra for frying and serving
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- For Sour Cream Maple Syrup: In a small sauce pot, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add sour cream and maple syrup. Heat over medium-low until it is well combined. Remove from heat.
- For Fluffy Sour Cream Pancakes: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together sour cream, eggs, vanilla and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are just combined. Do not over mix!
- Allow batter to sit for 3-5 minutes while you preheat your skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Line cooking surface with butter and pour ¼ cup batter for each pancake. Cook until edges appear to be dry and bubbles form in the center. Flip over and cook until golden. Place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in warm oven until all pancakes are done.
- Serve with a little pat of butter and some warm sour cream maple syrup! Enjoy!