I have always loved a good moist carrot cake. The hard thing is, lots of recipes don’t deliver that perfect moist crumb that makes it soooo scrumptious. This spring I set myself out on a mission to create the carrot cake of my dreams. (This was important people!) And guess what? I did it! I baked my little heart out and created something I am super proud of! Several, several batches of goodies came and went before these glorious creations came to be. I can honestly say that they are the most moist, velvety, devilish Carrot Cake Cupcakes I have ever had. You NEED these in your life asap!
I added a few extra special ingredients to these Carrot Cake Cupcakes that really add the wow factor. One of them is minced craisins! I popped 1/2 cup of them in the food processor so that they were cut into tiny pieces and added them to the batter. Oh baby, they were so fantastic in this recipe. Little sweet fruity pieces of heaven in each bite!
I spent some time formulating the Best Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting to really make these cupcakes perfect. I can’t resist little tastes here and there while making this! Nothing like a good sugar rush while you’re baking, right? My little sister came along on my baking adventure and we were laughing that my cupcakes come with love (and a little saliva) ha ha. Tasters be warned!
I learned this mad genius trick to frosting a two toned cupcake in the easiest way! Check out this cool video by Justin Chapple to learn this trick for yourself!
Here is the much loved Moist Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipe & Best Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe:
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1-teaspoon baking soda
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ cup minced craisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 40 standard muffin cups.
- *If you are using extra tall cupcake liners you can fill them using a little more batter than standard liners (3/4 full) and it will fill about 30 cupcakes!
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and all spice. In an electric mixer cream together butter and sugars. Beat until the butter lightens in color and has a light whipped texture.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating on low. Beat well after each egg you add. Beat for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, milk, and shredded carrots. Beat until well combined (2-3 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low setting and tap in flour mixture. Once flour is combined add chopped pecans and minced craisins. Craisins can be minced using a food processor. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop Batter into cupcake liners evenly. Fill about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes in oven, and then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting. Enjoy!
- 3 cubes of salted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese (full fat), chilled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar to desired consistency (6-8+ cups)
- In an electric mixer beat butter until it becomes lighter in color and has a nice fluffy consistency.
- Add chilled cream cheese, vanilla and salt. Beat until frosting has a smooth texture.
- On low speed add powdered sugar. As the motor bears down turn speed up to medium and continue tapping in powdered sugar until you have reached the desired consistency.
- *If you are piping the frosting add extra powdered sugar (just a little) to make the frosting more firm.
- *If you are adding food coloring do so either in the mixer, or if you are doing several colors, scoop out some of the frosting and color it in separate bowls. Check the consistency again after doing this because you may need to add a little more powdered sugar to maintain desired consistency. Add frosting to piping bags and place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. As you frost your cupcakes/cake/cookies you may need to place frosting back into refrigerator to bring back to cool temp after handling it for a while. Enjoy!
Have fun baking my friends!