Sometimes you just need some good old fashioned comfort food to warm your soul. Since being pregnant that need has come along much more often than usual. I am still trying to incorporate just as many veggies and fruits into my cooking as per usual, but my diet has changed a bit, or rather my food cravings have… It’s a tricky thing to navigate and if you aren’t careful you can end up bowl deep in ice cream (or something else splendid) each night. I have really had to think about what I can prepare that will make my prego tummy happy, and keep me looking more like a human than a blimp.
This creamy, healthy meal really fit the bill to keep both of these conflicting desires contented. That is quite a feat! I deserve a pat on the back or something! I don’t often go for the crock pot because I can usually make anything in a pot on the stove in 1/8 the time, but if you are in the mood to “set it and forget it” this one is a winner. It delivers a decadent creamy Italian flavor that infulses the veggies and chicken. It stays moist and packs a punch in the flavor department. Everyone in my family raves over this each time I make it (even my picky eater children). I made some noodles to serve alongside it for my kiddos, but in reality you can totally just eat the chicken with the veggies and have a complete and filling meal without the noodles. Either way it is fabulous!
I especially love the colors in this dish. The rainbow carrots and red onions compliment the potatoes so nicely. I hope you give this meal a try! I know your family will love it.
I sure have missed blogging all about food the last few months! If feels so good to be back at it! I struggled with Hyperemesis Gravidarum so badly I had to have a feeding tube and IVs for several months. I am finally 23 weeks along. Thank goodness for modern medicine! I feel extremely blessed to be past the worst of it! Thanks for hanging in there with me. Here’s to a glorious finish to what is hopefully my last pregnancy! P.S. IT’S A BOY due July 21st!
So stay tuned for some more foodie fun and recipes to come. I haven’t deserted you permenently I promise. 🙂
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 10 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1-teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
- ⅛-teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 5 large tri-color carrots, peeled and sliced into 1.5” slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and cut into quarters
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour until dissolved. Add ¼ cup milk and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In crock-pot add the rest of the milk, chicken stock and cream of mushroom soup. Add butter and flour mixture to sauce in crock-pot and stir together well. Add soy sauce, Italian dressing mix, cayenne pepper, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set heat to low for 6-8 hours (depending on how hot your crock pot cooks.) Place chicken breasts and all veggies in the crock-pot and cover with the lid.
- When done, vegetables should be fork tender, but not too soft. Chicken will be fully cooked and tender. Do not remove lid until cooking is complete for quickest cooking results. Serve over noodles or rice if desired. Enjoy!