One thing I love about Utah is the utterly amazing Local Peaches that come in abundance at the end of summer. Our family always picks up a case or two of these juicy delights. Peaches have been my favorite fruit (aside from strawberries) for many years. To this day peaches and vanilla ice cream is simply my favorite treat. (It doesn’t even have chocolate in it!!! Gasp!)
I decided to mix it up and try something new with this favorite of mine! I went all savory on you and whipped this salad up. It is the perfect mix of sweet, savory, cool and oh sooo creamy. I loved every bite. I hope you will too!
Some of the stars in this gorgeous side dish are a crusty loaf of french bread (thanks Harmon’s), local Utah peaches, honeydew melon, basil, lemon, honey, dried blueberries and my personal favorite cheese: Cowgirl Creamery Triple Cream Cheese (thanks Harmon’s again!). It will blow your minds people. Go get ya some!!! I am a huge fan of serving fresh herbs with fruit. They are so beautiful together.
Have you ever made your own croutons? It is amazingly simple and adds HUGE flavor and texture. A good crouton is crispy on the outside but has a tiny bit of chew in the center. Rather than going traditional with my croutons I amped up the flavor with some honey. The croutons are cubed, drizzled with equal parts olive oil and honey, and seasoned with salt, freshly cracked pepper and a little garlic. Then all you have to do is bake them up to a nice golden brown! They are so worth the effort. You can thank me later.
You know how sometimes when you eat honeydew it has this funny aftertaste? I can never put my finger on what it is, but sometimes it’s not my favorite. Well, I solved that irritating dilemma with a little fresh lemon juice! If you toss your peaches and honeydew balls in a fresh lemon juice it takes away that aftertaste and keeps your salad looking (and tasting) supa fresh. It was a magic moment when I realized this discovery! I was loving all over those cute little honeydew balls. They were delish! You gotta try that.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you today. It has been one of my favorite creations all summer! What is your favorite summer fruit?
- 3 Ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 honeydew melon, balled with a melon-baller or a teaspoon scoop.
- 15 fresh basil leaves, chiffonad
- 2 ounces triple cream cheese, crumbled
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- For Croutons:
- 2 cups crusty French bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cube crusty French bread. Drizzle with olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Toss on pan and bake for 5 more minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Prepare peaches and honeydew melon as directed above. Drizzle them with lemon juice and toss gently in a bowl. Top with basil, triple cream cheese dots and dried blueberries. Top with crunchy croutons. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Thanks for hangin with me today friends! What do you think? Is it time for some end-of-summer fruit salad celebrating? I think so!