This might just be the best darn summer salad I’ve ever had. It doesn’t get much better than freshly roasted beets topped with balsamic reduction (glaze) and some creme fraiche! If you want the key to my heart, give me this… I get all swoony just looking at it! The fresh basil and pistachios make this top notch. I tell you, I would eat this every day and be a very happy camper.
I made this salad for my family’s 4th of July celebration. I didn’t get all red, white and blue as far as the food goes, but this was definitely a winner of a party dish. Everyone who tried some loved it! Thats really all that matters, right? Not that I haven’t adored all the festive, color coordinated food ideas floating around the web….
As I’m sure you have discovered already, I LOVE salads! I hope you have been utilizing the many fresh salad ideas in my Recipe Box! I love sharing a good salad recipe with my friends. Speaking of you, how is your summer going? Has it gotten off to a roaring start, or kind of just happened (like mine…) I still can’t believe summer is practically half over!!! It makes me want to shed a glistening tear, except that it’s been over 100 degrees for days and I would gladly take some respite from the heat right about now! Send me a comment and tell me all about your summer adventures so far!
Here is the recipe my friends! Enjoy!
- 1-bunch baby beets (roasted)
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody stems removed and quartered
- 2 cups baby kale, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 8 basil leaves, chiffonad
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- Balsamic condiment (glaze)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To roast beets:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash beets well. Cut off stems 1 inch from the beet. (Just enough to hold on to.) Wrap beets in tin foil (2 layers) and place them on a baking sheet.
- Roast beets in hot oven for 20+ minutes (checking the beets every 10 minutes to prevent overcooking). When beets are tender when pierced with a fork remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Run some cool water in your sink and rub the beets until the skin comes off. If it doesn’t come off easily they aren’t cooked well enough yet. Slice beets and set aside.
- For roasted veggies:
- Place asparagus, kale and onion flakes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat veggies evenly.
- Roast veggies in oven at 450 for 5-7 minutes until kale begins to crisp up.
- Remove from oven and arrange on 4 plates with beets. Add a dollop of crème fraiche to each plate along with some fresh basil. Scatter pistachios over each serving and dress with balsamic condiment. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Guess what one of my favorite parts about summer is?? My Daughter’s dance performance! She prepares all year with her studio to put on this amazing show. I am always so impressed with the production. This year they did Snow White. It was fabulous! I love the costumes the girls had. Elena’s class did such a wonderful job. They were all so energetic and expressive. She really had a great time this year and was so into her part. I wish I had a fun video clip to show off to you!
I just have to gush a little bit about this bundle of beauty and sass! Elena is becoming such a fun little girl. I love watching her personality blossom and grow into the sensitive and hilarious being she is becoming. It’s such a pleasure to be her mommy. I wouldn’t trade her for all the summer salads in this world. (Even if they have balsamic glaze… And that’s saying something!) Love you Laney Girl! I was so proud to watch you up on that stage. xoxo
I hope you all find yourselves surrounded by those you love the most this summer. Hold onto them tight and make sure they know how much you love them! Thanks for hanging with me today. Let’s both make today GREAT!