Raise your hand if you love breakfast!!! (Me! Me!) When I hear people say, “Oh, I don’t do breakfast…” It makes me crazy! Really people? I am usually starving when I wake up! Not feeding myself in the morning would be bad news bears for everyone in contace with me. Ha ha ha. Lately I have been trying out several new ways to make my eggs a little more “festive”. There is this one breakfast place here in SLC that I love to death (Millcreek Cafe And Eggworks). They make a mean smothered egg burrito. Like change your life good. But, I can’t always justify a full blown breakfast burrito. It’s way too much food and I usually don’t love carbs every morning.
I took inspiration from my beloved Cafe and created this health-concious version of their goodness. I subbed out italian sausage for italian ground turkey. Used some good old green enchilada sauce and added a few fresh favorites to the party to complete the meal.
Honestly, I think I enjoyed this meal more than the giant burrito version because it didn’t come with a side of food guilt. HA! Sounds a little nuts, but it is totally a thing and you know it!
Did I mention that it was sooo pretty? Who knew eggs could be beautiful? As you can tell, I highly recommend this breakfast. (Any breakfast really… Please feed yourselves in the morning people!!) We would all be a happier, more kind human race if everyone wasn’t road raging to work on an empty stomach getting all hangry at eachother. Right? (Rant over.)
Here is the handy dandy recipe for you fine folks! Have a great Monday!
- ½ pound lean ground Italian turkey
- Salt and pepper
- ½-teaspoon herbs de province seasoning blend
- 1-tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 6 eggs
- ⅛-cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, quartered
- 2 cups spinach greens
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- In a large skillet brown lean ground Italian turkey. Season with salt, pepper and herbs de province.
- Remove from heat and set aside. In the same skillet melt butter over medium heat. Sauté diced shallots for 5 minutes.
- Lightly beat eggs milk and salt and pepper together. Pour over melted butter. Add browned lean Italian ground turkey. Scramble eggs until done.
- To plate arrange food as follows: Lay a bed of spinach on the plate. Top with scramble. Sprinkle with cheese. Add ¼ of avocado to each plate and 4 cherry tomatoes. Drizzle green enchilada sauce over scramble and serve immediately! Enjoy!
What is your favorite go-to breakfast? Are you an egg fan, or do you do the carb thing in the mornings? I’m always looking to mix up my breakfast routine. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!