Are you a breakfast lover? I have heard people on both sides of the fence…. I am most definately on the PRO breakfast side. I just love the foods that fall into that category! One of my favortie breakfasts growing up was Eggs Benedict! My mom made that all the time, and I always devoured it. I have been missing this partictular dish since significantly reducing my carbohydrate intake. Well, that wasn’t going to fly for long…. I kicked the bread slice to the curb and created this fantastic alternative to the classic Benedict. It was sooo dreamy. I seriously LOVED this meal. It was so filling yet healthy!!!
The mushroom sauce from scratch was the key ingredient. It made for one glorious breakfast filled with oohs, and aahhhs! I will have to whip this baby up again here pretty quick. Are you in the mood to indulge? This is the breakfast for you (minus the guilt). Yay for delicious healthy food!!!
Make sure to let me know how you like this one! I can’t wait to hear your reaction to how much flavor this has!!! What is your favorite indulgent breakfast? Maybe I’ll pick one to reinvent in a healthier way? xoxo
- For Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1-cup low fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup Madera cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For Eggs Benedict:
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lean ham steaks
- 3 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper 1-cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sized skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes at this temperature, then reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until onions become slightly translucent and mushrooms begin to brown. (About 5-7 minutes.) Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk immediately until smooth. Whisk in milk slowly until well combined. Add Madera cooking wine, Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes until thickened some.
- Add onion and mushroom sauté to sauce and allow to simmer together for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
- Slice tomatoes and set aside.
- Wash asparagus and remove woody stems. Place asparagus on a lined baking sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook eggs 2 at a time over medium heat in a small skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Do not break the yolk! Sprinkle each set of 2 cooked eggs with 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese. Place on a very low skillet to keep warm (covered).
- Brown ham steaks and place on top of cheesy eggs. Cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to high broil for 5 minutes. Place baking sheet with asparagus on center rack. Broil for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Plate each serving. Start with cheesy eggs. Top with Ham steaks, sliced tomatoes, a handful of asparagus and about ⅔ cup of the creamy mushroom sauce. Enjoy!