It’s true that since I started MediFast and my journey to a healthier life, i’ve avoided excess carbohydrates, but that doesn’t mean I don’t LOVE to bake. My kids have been begging me for some home made muffins so I thought I would whip up some of these fragrant little morsels for my little ones! Not only do these make your house smell amazing, they are so delicious. They are healthier than your average muffins since I incorporate some hearty ground flax seeds and coconut butter instead of regular butter. I originally tried the coconut muffin recipe from Smitten Kitchen’s Double Coconut Muffins and I enjoyed them, but they had a VERY STRONG coconut oil flavor that was almost too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking with coconut oil, but the flavor almost overwhelmed the muffin for me. I love the Smitten Kitchen’s website so you should definitely go take a look over there.
After some major tweaking and experimentation i’ve created a Triple Coconut Muffin recipe that I just love! It has a delicate coconut flavor and a dense crumb. I love the ground flax seeds in it because of the earthy, rich flavor it adds. I incorporated fat free sour cream and I don’t feel like it compromised the flavor at all. You could also use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for the fat free sour cream. I have made these muffins both ways and loved them equally. I really like using Raw Sugar instead of granulated sugar because of the flavor it adds, but if you don’t have that you could easily substitute it for granulated sugar and be just fine.
I made these lovely muffins in the mini form for my kids. I find that when I make mini muffins they eat them much better. If I serve my 2 year old a regular sized muffin he ends up crumbling it everywhere instead of eating it. They are also super cute… ha ha ha.
Well, let’s get baking shall we? You are gonna love how wonderful these make your house smell! You’ll totally forget about the dreary winter blues… I know I did!
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Grease 40 mini muffin cups or line them with paper liners. (My favorite is Baker’s Joy Spray.)
In a small saucepan melt coconut butter over medium-low heat until just barely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax seeds and salt. Set aside.
Add sour cream, almond coconut milk, raw sugar, egg, vanilla and 2/3 cup shredded coconut to the small saucepan with the melted coconut butter. Mix until combined (do not over mix).
Gently fold wet ingredients into the dry using a spatula. Only mix until barely combined. Consistency will be quite thick almost like a moist cookie dough. The less you mix it the fluffier the muffins will turn out.
Grab a cute little helper and scoop a heaping teaspoon into each mini muffin cup. Sprinkle with a pinch of shredded coconut (or let your helper do this part)! Lincoln kept saying,”I did it, I did it! Ta-daaa!” The cuteness almost killed me!
Now you are ready to plop those babies into the oven on the center rack. Bake them for 10-12 minutes, or until they are slightly golden and the coconut starts to brown a little. Mmmm. I can almost smell the goodness right now.
Remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Or pop one in your mouth immediately… That’s what I would do anyway.
All that’s left is to watch your sweeties enjoy them!
- ½ cup coconut butter (room temperature)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond coconut milk
- ⅓ cup raw sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature is best)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 40 mini muffin cups with Baker's Joy Spray, butter, coconut oil or paper liners.
- In a small saucepan melt coconut butter until just barely melted and softened. Remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax seeds and salt. Set aside.
- Add sour cream, almond coconut milk, raw sugar, egg, vanilla and ⅔ cup shredded coconut to the small saucepan with the melted coconut butter. Mix until combined (do not over mix).
- Gently fold wet ingredients into the dry using a spatula. Only mix until barely combined. Consistency will be quite thick almost like a moist cookie dough. The less you mix it the fluffier the muffins will turn out.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop a heaping teaspoon into each of the 40 mini muffin cups.
- Top each dollop of batter with a pinch of the excess shredded coconut.
- Place muffin tins in the oven on the center rack.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden and toasty on top.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Happy baking everyone!