Here’s a little update on my road to optimal health! It has been 8 weeks since I started MediFast and I have lost 22 pounds!!! That is an average of 2.75 pounds lost per week. That seems pretty amazing to me. Aside from the fact that I feel way lighter and more energetic, I am sleeping better, feel generally happier and am more motivated as a person. I’ve embraced this new way of cooking and eating and couldn’t be more thrilled with the results. I actually crave fresh vegetables and lean meats rather than sugar and treats. That is shocking considering the last 28 years of my life…. Ha ha. I have really enjoyed the challenge of cooking on the plan with tons of low carbohydrate vegetables and lean meat choices. It has been eye opening to change the way I think about food. I am much more aware of what I eat (without the struggle). I make sure to eat healthy fats along with the other foods I eat, and have learned a lot about the food I cook with. I don’t feel deprived or starving or uncomfortable in any way. It is empowering to take control of my life and my health! Thanks for all your words of support and encouragement!
One funny thing, I have been under the misconception that I couldn’t have any ground beef or steak on the MediFast program…. Ha! I am so glad I found out the truth this week! I totally can. I have been telling my hubby that steak is a no-go. Lol! Well, in light of this new information I decided it was time for some burger wraps! I really love me some burger wraps guys…. Like for real. They are amazing! They were just the ticket.
I love bleu cheese burgers and bbq burgers, so I decided to mix a little of both sauces on this luscious wrap. The fun thing about these burgers is that the possibilities are endless. You can top them with any of your favorite garnishes or sauces and you are golden!! I think next time I might try a mushroom burger… Mmm.
Are you ready to feast on some healthy Jalapeño Burger Veggie Wraps? Ya baby!
- 2.5 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- ¾ yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- Olive oil spray
- 1-2 heads butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber, made into noodles with a spiral slicer, or cut into matchsticks (seeds removed)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- BBQ sauce or Bleu Cheese dressing of your choice
- Low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium sized bowl add ground beef, minced jalapeño, minced onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried parsley and ground fennel seed.
- Mix together well with hands.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out beef and mold it into a round patty shape. There should be about 12-14 (2.5 ounce) burgers (cooked weight).
- Create a well in the center of the burger for even cooking.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a few spritzes of olive oil spray to the pan. Sprinkle a little extra salt and pepper over each patty.
- Add 6-8 burgers to the pan and allow them to sear and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Wash and separate each butter lettuce leaf.
- Using spiral slicer make cucumber noodles. If you don't have a spiral slicer remove the seeds of the cucumber and slice it into matchsticks.
- Cut yellow pepper into thin slices.
- Slice tomatoes.
- To make a burger wrap take two butter lettuce leaves and lay them one on top of the other. Next add some bleu cheese dressing (OPA brand Greek Yogurt Bleu Cheese Dressing is my favorite). Place a handful of cucumber noodles on top of the sauce and place a burger patty on top of that! Next comes the tomatoes and yellow bell peppers. Top those with some BBQ sauce (Famous Dave's Sweet And Sassy is my favorite). Sprinkle a little low fat shredded cheddar cheese on top. Next place one more butter lettuce leaf on top and wrap it up like a burrito! If you are taking your burgers to-go, wrap them up in plastic wrap and take them with you! They are pretty portable. Enjoy!
Here are some extra informational pics to help you get started!
Ooh la la. Those were so awesome. Here’s another fun little fact: I have added extra burgers cubed in my MediFast soup to add a little extra protein! These little burgers have been super handy to have already cooked and in the refrigerator! We have pulled them out several times when I haven’t had time to cook our Lean & Green. So, if you are looking for easy, healthy options for a quick dinner to pull together these would fit the bill. You could also cook a bunch of these up and freeze them to have on hand. Yay for being prepared for a busy week!
I hope you have a happy and deliciously healthy week! If you have any great dinner ideas using lean meats and low carb veggies I would love to hear about them!! Ciao!