With all this drizzly snowy weather we are having I thought I would share this warm recipe with you! There is nothing more cozy than a cup of soup on a snowy day! I remixed my original Rosemary Tomato Cream Soup recipe and made it a little more health conscious! For those of you that are trying to cook super healthy like I am at the moment, this will sure hit the spot! The flavor is lovely with the fresh basil leaves. If you want to make this into a more hearty dinner just add some grilled chicken and voila! There you have a fabulous dinner! This soup comes together so quickly too (which I love!). Make sure to taste test your soup as you are seasoning it. It may need some tweaking here and there with extra salt or more cayenne for those of you who dig a little extra bite to your soup!
This is a super light version of a caprese salad. I opted to go with a fresh lemon juice and olive oil dressing. The lemon zest really boosts the flavor of the salad and gives it a little zing! Make sure to salt and pepper your salad, it really enhances the flavor. 🙂
Well my friends…. Most importantly have fun! I know that sometimes as a mom (or any human being really) it can get a little stale in the kitchen so pump up your cooking time with some fun music and heck, belt out a few lines yourself! I know it works for me (and my kids think it funny)! Have a little dance party while you’re cooking! Don’t be afraid to involve your little ones (or big kids/spouses) because cooking is much more fun in numbers…
Have a fresh and happy day, and swing back over to my neck of the inter-woods soon! I would love to hear from you! xoxo
Print off this recipe and make it a meal today! 🙂
- For Soup:
- 1- 28 ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓-cup shallots minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Herbs De Provence seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Truvia natural sweetener
- Garnish with mixed micro greens (optional)
- For Salad:
- 6 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes
- 1 avocado (optional), cut into slices
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced into 6 wedges
- 12-basil leaves chiffonade
- Spray olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender add San Marzano tomatoes and 10 basil leaves. Blend until smooth.
- In a large stockpot add 1-tablespoon olive oil, minced garlic and shallots. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and all blended tomato and basil mixture.
- Add chicken stock, Herbs De Province, salt, pepper, cayenne, fat free sour cream and truvia. Bring to a low simmer and stir occasionally. Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop red leaf lettuce. Place 1 cup of lettuce on each salad plate. Dice or halve tomatoes, slice avocado, cube mozzarella, zest lemon and slice it into 6 wedges and chiffonade basil leaves.
- Arrange all salad toppings evenly over the 6 side salads. This will give you 6 salads of 1-1⁄2 cups veggies total with one lemon wedge to dress. Spray salads lightly with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve 1 cup of soup per serving and garnish with some mixed micro greens or crumbled pistachios. Enjoy!